by Rishabh Chaturvedi
February 20, 2019
A welder welds, fabricates, assembles and cuts metal according to the specifications informed. The job requires a lot of attention to detail and quality. Welders are essential for a firm, factory and even the country, when it is looking to build anything that requires metal. With the changing technological environment and development of infrastructure, welders have become an important part of the society.
What are the requirements for the job of welder?
As is typical with such trades, an employer will always give preference to work experience, reference and skill over qualifications. With this being said, if a job applicant shows promise and has certain qualifications, employers will give them a chance too. Some of these qualifications are-
- Industrial Trade Institute(ITI) Diploma or Certification in Engineering Trades, Welding or Fitting
- National Skill Development Corporation(NSDC) Skill Certificate for Welders
- Degree or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Certificate in Metallurgy
Apart from these, there are various other qualities that employers will look for in a prospective employee. These are-
- Ability to interpret blueprints
- Knowledge of local language
- Ability to understand and work upon specifications
- Attention to detail
- Good knowledge of various processes involved, like, welding, fitting, etc
- Quick learner
How to become a qualified Welder?
To become a fully qualified welder, one must do the following-
- ITI Certification
- National Council for Vocational Training(NCVT) Certificate of Skill
- Polytechnic degree or Diploma
- Direct Admission to Bachelor of Technology in the Third year
What are the tools that a welder operates?
Typically, welders use these tools-
- Welding equipment
- Soldering kit
- Gas lighter
- Gas cutters
There are many other tools that welders use, depending on the job requirement.
Is there a dress code?
There is no dress code, unless the employing firm has one, but, there is some basic safety gear that welders should use. These include-
- Safety goggles
- Safety shoes
- Welding gloves
- Helmet, etc
Where are the jobs for welders available?
Welders are required almost everywhere. From infrastructure to defence, welders play an important role in nation building. Job seekers can apply for jobs at construction and infra-development firms, factories, armed forces, merchant navy, manufacturing firms, factories and many other places. A skilled welder may also decide to set up their own workshop.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job
- Be ready to learn new skills
- Pay close attention to minor details, too
- Understand the specifications of the job properly
- Never be careless and not use safety gear and precautions
- Never disregard standing instructions or specifications of the client or employer
- Never complete work haphazardly