Field Sales Staff
by Amit Patil
February 21, 2019
A field sales executive travels to different places and tries to get sales from location to location. These professionals contact potential clients within a particular area or territory, give them a sales pitch and try to encourage them to buy their products. They are, in a way, travelling representatives of the organisation, firm or employer they are working for.
- Contacting potential clients
- Giving sales pitch
- Encouraging clients to buy products
- Achieving pre-defined sales targets
- Following operating procedures and strategies set by the team
- Developing ideas and strategies to maximise sales
- Ensuring ethical responsibility towards both client and employer
- Maintaining records of sales and giving feedback to superiors
- Getting negotiations to the point where sale is mutually beneficial
What are the qualifications required for the job?
Usually, for a typical sales job, any undergraduate degree with a preference given to MBA holders is acceptable. However, depending on the type of product to be sold, often engineering or specialised degrees are required. Some of the acceptable qualifications are-
- Any bachelor’s degree
- Bachelor’s in Technology(B. Tech) or degree in Information Technology for technical sales jobs
- Masters in Business Administration(MBA) in Sales and Marketing
- Specialised degrees in sales
Apart from simple qualifications, this job requires a lot of soft skills. Since the job need a lot of client interaction and is communications-heavy, employers give preference to candidates with the following skills-
- Ability to communicate properly
- Fluent in English, Hindi and local languages
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Creative with their ideas
- Hardworking and efficient
- Ability to understand people and products
Is there a uniform for the job?
There is no set uniform for the job unless the employer has one. With this being said, one thing should be kept in mind that a smartly dressed executive gives a more positive impression to the client.
Where are the jobs available?
A lot of companies require travelling sales executives. Some of the most common being telecom firms and newspaper houses. Apart from these, a lot of corporates that produce or sell industrial goods and supplies and raw materials require sales executives.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job-
- Keep learning new skills
- Improve social interaction ability
- Always follow sales strategies
- Never lie to clients or cheat employer
- Never be rude to clients
- Never let clients decide the terms without negotiating