by Rishabh Chaturvedi
March 12, 2019
Elder caregivers are very important part of society. They are supposed to provide complete care to senior citizen who do not have family looking after them, and, are unable to look after themselves without assistance. Elder care givers are supposed to provide full care from medical to hygiene and, sometimes even cooking and driving too.
The responsibilities of the job are endless. A care giver may be expected to do the following-
- Give medicines to client on time
- Cook for client
- Drive them around when required
- Administer first-aid in case of emergency
- Contact emergency services and next of kin for emergencies
- Keep patient in hygienic conditions
- Provide client with a talking and traveling companion
What are the qualifications for an elder caregiver?
The job, typically, does not require any minimum qualification. However, depending upon the type of care required the caregiver might need some qualifications. Some of the basic qualifications that employers might want are-
- 10+2 degree
- Certificate or diploma course in patient care
- Certified physical therapists
- B. Sc or M. Sc in Nursing
Apart from these qualifications, employers would want certain skills and qualities for the caregiver to have. Some of these are-
- Patient with client
- Knowledge of first-aid
- Responsible and caring, but strict
- Ability to understand old references and be friendly
- Knowledge of English
- Ability to deal with problems and complications
Is there a uniform for the job?
There is no official uniform for the job as it is a full-time job that is often at the client’s home. However, it is advisable to wear soft, cotton clothing so that it does not cause irritation to the client and helps the caregiver to move freely.
Where are the jobs available?
Elder care is a field that always requires good candidates. Jobs are always available from private individuals, nursing homes, hospitals and other such places.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job-
- Try and keep learning new skills
- Try and understand and empathize with the client
- Learn first aid, cooking and driving
- Never take risks when it comes to the client
- Never lie to clients about your skills
- Never mistreat the client