by Rishabh Chaturvedi
March 12, 2019
A dishwasher is supposed to wash all tableware, kitchen utensils, pots, pans, knives and basically all cooking equipment. Dishwashers can be called the backbone of the kitchen. They have to follow the cleaning and washing procedures of the organization they are working in and through the maintenance of cleanliness of the kitchen utensils keep the kitchen functioning properly.
- Clean all utensils properly
- Maintain cleanliness of the kitchen area under them
- Make sure dishes going for service are completely clean and dry
- Recleaning plates whenever asked by a superior
- Keeping dishes clean to keep cleaning area clutter free
What are the qualifications for the job?
The job essentially has NO qualification requirements. But, since the job is a part of the kitchen staff and works in a team, employers would want applicants to have certain qualities. Some of these are-
- Hardworking and efficient
- Follows orders
- Can work as part of a team
- Knowledge of English
- Knowledge of local language
Experience in the field also helps in getting jobs.
What is the uniform for the job?
As is the case with most organized kitchens, kitchen staff has fixed dress-code. Typically, dishwashers are supposed to be dressed in-
- Hair nets or caps
- White shirt and pants
Where are the jobs available?
Jobs for dishwashers are always available. Any place that cooks their own food requires dishwashers. Restaurants, hotels, community kitchens, catering services, armed forces, merchant navy and many more organizations require dishwashers.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job-
- Make sure the cleaning area is not cluttered
- Clean dishes until they are completely spotless
- Maintain communication with the other kitchen staff
- Do not keep a dirty workstation
- Never let too many dishes be cluttered
- Never let dirty dishes leave the workstation