by Chandresh Bihani
February 20, 2019
A delivery boy is supposed to pick up deliveries from producers, fulfilment centres, warehouses, shops, stores and other such places and deliver it to the correct address on time. They usually use bikes for this job, but depending upon the type of delivery, lorries, cars and even cycles are used.
- Pick up stuff to be delivered
- Deliver stuff on time
- Make sure deliveries are properly made
- Ensure safety of product
- Ensure product delivered is damage free
- Be vigilant for fraud and other illegal activities
- Understand and follow delivery instructions
- Learn about delivery routes and short-cuts
- Follow standard operating procedure set by the employing firm
What are the qualifications required to be a delivery boy?
There are no minimum qualifications that are required for this job. There are, however, certain documents and skills employers look for in their delivery agents. These include-
- 10th pass
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proper Identification documents
- Ability to work with smartphones and computers
- Ability to read and understand digital maps
- Knowledge of basic English and local languages
Is there a uniform for the job?
There is, normally, no fixed uniform for the job, however, certain companies mandate uniforms. Apart from that, a delivery boy who uses two-wheelers for deliveries should have the following-
- Riding gloves
- Bike smart-phone mount
Where are the jobs available?
Due to the recent surge in growth of the e-commerce sector, and, the growth of consumer product deliveries, a lot of jobs have opened up for delivery boys. Companies like Amazon, eBay, Flipkart, India Post, FedEx, UberEats, Zomato and a lot of other firms have started large scale hiring of delivery boys.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job-
- Always go about the job ethically and diligently
- Keep learning new skills
- Try and make as many deliveries on time as possible
- Never break traffic rules for deliveries
- Never take risks just to deliver products on time
- Never be rude to the customer