by Chandresh Bihani
February 20, 2019
A chef prepares dishes according to existing recipes, innovates and modifies recipes, create new flavours by experimenting with food and finds ways to give culinary satisfaction to their customers. A chef also has to manage the kitchen staff and their operation.
- Following recipes
- Making adjustments and modifications to recipes according to the requirements
- Creating new dishes
- Managing the kitchen and other related operations
- Maintaining quality of the food being served
- Keeping the kitchen and staff in proper shape and discipline
What does an employer look for in a prospective chef?
Generally, employers will give preference to experience, and past employers play a big role. However, freshers get jobs in kitchens if they have the following qualifications-
- Graduation in Hotel Management from the various Institutes of Hotel Management(IHM)
- Diploma and Certificate courses available through National Council For Hotel Management and Catering Technology(NCHMCT)
- Relevant degree from recognized institutes
- Training programs run by various organizations
Apart from these qualifications, an employer would like a candidate to have some other qualities as well. These are-
- Leadership spirit
- Ability to work and coordinate with a team
- Ability to follow instructions and recipes
- Understanding of taste
- Flair for innovation
- Knowledge of various cuisines and cultures
The employer will also look for specific qualifications and skills for different types of chef, like-
- Executive Chef(Chef de Cuisine)- The boss of the whole kitchen
- Pastry Chef
- Poissonier- Fish chef
- Sous Chef- 2nd in command to the Executive Chef
- Entremetier- Vegetable chef
- Rotisseur- Meat chef
- Chef de Partie- In charge of a particular part of the kitchen
- Fry cook
- Gard Manger- In charge of the pantry
- Commis(Line cooks)- They do various tasks around the kitchen
- Expediter- Coordinates between the kitchen and waiting staff
The various chefs have different designations according to their job profile.
What tools and uniform does a chef use?
A chef’s tools depends upon the kind of job they are doing. Typically, a chef will have these tools-
- Knives set
- Measuring equipment, etc
Generally, chefs are expected to adhere to the following uniform
- Chef Hat
- Chef Jacket
Where are the jobs available?
There are various types of chef jobs available. These have different titles according to the work expected of them. Prospective candidates can apply for jobs at various places like, merchant navy, armed forces, corporates and other places that run their own kitchen. These are obviously, apart from the obvious restaurants, hotels, clubs and other places in the food and beverage industry.