by Chandresh Bihani
February 20, 2019
Bartenders make and serve alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks to bar customers. They have to be able to deal with a lot of different things at once and often have to deal with certain requests of customers. Bartenders have to be able to hold conversations with various people from various backgrounds at any given time and still not mess up orders or ignore one customer for too long.
- Prepare alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Hear out requirements of the customers
- Understand mood of customer and often suggest drinks accordingly
- Making sure that minors are not served at the bar
- Making sure that bar patrons behave themselves and don’t drink too much
- Managing the bar and its finances and inventories
What are the qualifications for a bartending job?
As is the nature of this field, employers will look for experience rather than focus on qualifications. Professionals of the field do not care much for bartending schools, however, they provide valuable assistance to beginners and teach essentials skill for the field. One can get training from places like-
- Indian Institute of Bartending
- Flair Mania Bartending School
- Bartending training courses run by various organisations
Apart from simply taking up the course, applicants should have some natural qualities that really help become a good bartender. Some of these qualities are
- Nice and easy attitude
- Friendly nature and ability to hold conversations
- Ability to multi-task without losing patience
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to diffuse tense situations
What is the uniform of a bartender, and what are the tools they use?
Bartenders should make sure that if they do not have to follow a dress-code of the restaurant or bar, they should always dress to impress. Generally bartenders have the following uniform-
- White or black shirt
- Black trousers
- Black shoes
- Bartender’s apron
As for tools, they are usually provided everything by the employer, but a bartender should always have these things-
- Pen and writing material
- Corkscrews and wine openers
- Bottle openers
Any applicant who wants to pursue the field should also invest in a good book about mixology.
Where are the jobs available?
Bartending jobs are available at any place that sells drinks in an elegant and suave manner. Jobs are available at bars, hotels, restaurants, catering services and other places.
Do’s and Don’ts of the job-
- Listen to orders carefully
- Engage and entertain customers
- Learn about different names for the same drinks to increase your efficiency
- Never let a situation at the bar escalate
- Never be rude to customers
- Never let a customer drink too much and drive later or, behave irresponsibly