by Chandresh Bihani
February 20, 2019
A Banquet Manager manages all activities, events and functions related to the banquet. They are supposed to help in bookings, management of dates, organizing events, overseeing preparations, cooking and catering staff, waiting staff and generally providing all assistance to the client for a great experience. They calculate and provide the required number of staff that would be required for any event. A banquet manager has a responsibility towards the client and the smooth functioning of any event.
- Planning for a smooth functioning of any event
- Overseeing preparations related to the banquet including food, drinks, cleanliness, decorations, etc.
- Hiring and terminating staff
- Utilizing staff efficiently
- Understanding the requirements of clients and achieving them
- Managing banquet operations
What are the qualifications for the job?
The minimum qualifications that a employer would look for are-
- Degree in Hotel Management from Institute of Hotel Management(IHM)
- Banquet Management and F&B Services Training Courses from National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology(NCHMCT)
- Management Trainee Courses from various institutes like Taj, Oberoi and ITC
Typically, employers look for some particularly important qualities in prospective candidates. Some of these are-
- Leadership ability
- Ability to work and coordinate with various team members
- Communication skills
- Ability to convey exactly what needs to be done
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of local language
Is there a uniform for a Banquet Manager?
Generally, Banquet Managers would have to follow the same colour scheme the other managers follow in the organization. The uniform is simply-
- A well-tailored coat or blazer
- Polished shoes
- Matching pants
- White shirt
Where are the jobs available?
Banquet Managers are required wherever there are banquets. Apart from the obvious hotels and restaurants, some corporates run their own banquets too, and, will hire banquet managers. Catering services too require Banquet Manager.
Do’s and Don’ts-
- Understand the client’s requirements
- Make sure problems are dealt with immediately
- Make sure all preparations are up to the mark
- Never let situations get out of hand
- Never ignore the client’s requests
- Never hesitate to delegate